Long Beach, New York
The Glass Slides
(Courtesy of the Long Beach Historical Society)
These images represent a significant find by the Long Beach Historical Society. Apparently, a custodian found these old glass plates, used for photographic negatives in the early 1900's, in a dump many years ago! He turned them over to the Historical Society, who had them developed. They are hand colored and depict many old Long Beach homes and views. They are believed to be pre-1925, with many obviously pre-1910. Many were taken by the famous period photographer Ambrose Fowler. The colored images were know as "Magic Lantern Slides" and were used to project an image on the wall for viewing, essentially the forerunner of the modern slide projector. Viewing projected images was an exciting Victorian era pastime. These plates are a terrific and priceless find, and a great look into the past of Long Beach! I left these images fairly large for clarity, so load time may be a little slow. Identification of the photos, where it is absent, will be added as research is completed on them.
If you can identify or have any information on these photos.
This photo may have been taken near where the city hall complex was built, probably on National Blvd. and Park Ave. Shown are two old Long Beach fire trucks coming up the street. It appears the red roof buildings are the old town offices, which were moved from near National Blvd and the boardwalk and became part of the city hall complex.
This is the Fuller Building, east side of the boardwalk ramp at Riverside Blvd. Probably circa 1908. To the right is a postcard print of the same building.
Another shot of Long Beach fire trucks, probably at a drill. Taken somewhere in the vicinity of the center of town as the old water tower is visible in the background.
Believed to be the Lido Golf Club, year unknown.
Believed to be around National Blvd judging from the bend in the boardwalk.. Notice the marching band toward lower part of the photo near the center right. (man holding a tuba can be seen) While only a guess at this point, this might have been the grand opening of the Hotel Nassau with these kinds of festivities going on.
While the location has not been confirmed, it appears this is the same garden shown in a postcard view shown at right titled " Italian Gardens". Notice the details on the fountain in both images. They are taken from two different angles, and probably a number of years apart.
The Long Beach Bridge opened for traffic in 1922.
Taken from the porch of the Hotel Nassau on National Blvd and looking east.
This is 105 Jackson (Edwards) Blvd. It later became the Pickwick Tea Room and eventually burned down it is believed. It was at the NW corner of Edwards and Broadway. See other photos of this building on Early 1900's Page 4.
The Jacovitz home stood on the SE corner of Laurelton and Penn St.
The Jackovitz home on Laulterton and Penn St. The black and white photo on the right is from the early 40's
122 West Olive St., Still standing and currently owned by Neil Murphy.
The Brown family occupied this home from 1959-1992. It still stands today at 165 W. Olive St. just off Magnolia Blvd. and is one of the best original, surviving examples of Reynolds early Long Beach architecture. More information hopefully coming from Mr. Steve Brown
This structure at 226 W. Penn St. was built by the Elmohar Corporation in 1908 and was acquired by Kate Goldner in 1909.It is an admirable example of Long Beach developer William Reynolds' mandate that homes be built on three lots, be of white stucco, and crowned with a red tile roof. This home now serves as the Long Beach Historical Society Museum.
You are looking east down W. Penn St with Laurelton Blvd crossing in the foreground.
The Jacovitz home is on the right corner.